AMAZING NEWS FOR SCHOOL…

AMAZING NEWS FOR SCHOOL…

Dear Parents,

We have been asked to support the training of a play therapy assistance puppy. The puppy’s owner is a parent at Oakmeadow, is an experienced teacher now studying to become a play therapist.

Betsy the puppy is a 12-week-old spaniel. She is already calm, friendly and follows basic obedience commands. She will be trained to assist children who are struggling with issues like anxiety, confidence, anger, post-traumatic stress disorder, attachment disorders, self-esteem, ADHD, bereavement and autism via interaction both with the her and the play therapist.

It helps the puppy if she can get as much early socialisation as possible with as many different children as possible. She may use Oakmeadow as her training ground for up to two years. During this time, she aims to teach all our children how to be safe around dogs, how to look after dogs and how to train dogs. All our pupils will have the opportunity to watch her grow up. Some pupils will also have the opportunity to work with her in small group and individual sessions.

In order to go ahead with this exciting project we will need to know if your child has any allergies to dogs or any phobias. Please email into carys.pickering@oakmeadowprimary.co.uk

With any allergies or concerns. We are very excited about this opportunity and welcome Betsy to our Oakmeadow family.

3 Responses so far »

1. Marie milner said,

January 9, 2018 @ 6:00 pm     Reply

That’s a brilliant way to support children. As I know my daughter absolutely loves dogs and doesn’t always have much confidence. So I think it’s a great idea.

2. Rosie Tunnicliffe said,

January 9, 2018 @ 8:46 pm     Reply

I had the pleasure of meeting Betsy on Friday morning, she is the most adorable & well behaved puppy I have ever met….. I feel in love instantly!
    I think this is an absolutely fantastic idea & I know my 2 children would certainly benefit from this incentive. Can’t wait to see her again!

3. Joanne Schofield said,

January 9, 2018 @ 9:14 pm     Reply

I am so excited. Milly and i can’t wait to meet her. When does she arrive? Jo scho

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Say your words